From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Reynolds
Sent: Tuesday, 10 June 2014 8:13 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: no standards of harmonica accomplishment

I'm with Mr. Bee on this one. I don't want to ruffle any feathers but why do
we need a standard of accomplishment? I started playing because my Grandpa's
played, and I can say with absolute certainty that they never gave a single
thought to their level of playing. They played for no other reason than the
enjoyment and a lot of people enjoyed listening to them. Same reason a lot
of people play whatever instrument they happen to play. So I guess my
question is why we need a standard rather than what that standard should be.
Does it only apply to certain situations? As someone who's focused on the
guitar for 30 years with some long breaks I can tell you I'm no where near
the level of those considered guitar greats. Does that mean I shouldn't be
allowed to perform? Same with harmonica, piano, bass, etc etc, I'm not great
at any of them, but I play for the enjoyment. Do I have to meet a standard
before I can enjoy them?

Seems to me that having "standards" would do more to drive a wedge between
those who want to see the instrument promoted and those potential players
who will start and then maybe not reach those "standards" and give up. I
have to say I absolutely love listening to some of you guys play, but
whether or not I ever reach that level is of no importance to me.

Chris